Mount Zion is a designated heritage chapel and a significant site in the history of Methodism. Methodism's founder, John Wesley, regularly visited Mount Zion and stayed in the cottage which still adjoins the chapel.
The chapel Wesley preached in was built in 1773 but was replaced by the current building in 1815. It is regularly open to visitors and still stages regular services, although Mount Zion no longer has a congregation of its own. Another important historic note is that Mount Zion was a church which joined the Methodist New Connexion following the death of Wesley.
Another notable feature is that Mount Zion hosts the Horace Hird Collection of Methodist Ceramics, the majority of which is on display in the chapel. The reserve collection is available by request to serious students of either fine arts or Methodist history.
Mount Zion has its own website (link opens in a new window) where it is possible to see much about the history of the chapel and Sunday School. Look inside the beautiful chapel, and search the graveyard online for your relatives!
Sadly there is no bus service which serves Mount Zion, the nearest is to Pavement Lane and Causeway Foot.
Recent improvements mean that there is now a ramp enabling disabled access at the front gate to the chapel grounds. There is disabled access to the ground floor of the chapel and cottage but, sadly, there is no wheelchair access to toilet facilities. Parking is at the rear for disabled people, with roadside parking for everyone else.
Mount Zion's cottage is available for day conferences/meetings, and teas can be arranged for a maximum of 25.
Strong links have been forged with local schools and the chapel plays host to school party visits and stages Victorian days for pupils. Arrangements can be made through for personnel to go into schools – contact the circuit heritage officer via email at email@example.com.
As mentioned earlier, the chapel retains its worship licence and hosts services at intervals throughout the year. See the Plan for details of the services.