John de Bretton was the first Curate to be appointed to the first Chapel in Rastrick. The chapel had two small rooms about eight feet high with a few wooden benches.
1547 to 1553
In the reign of King Edward VI, as a free chapel, the chapel in Rastrick was suppressed.
In a state of decay, the chapel was closed.
The building was sold to Robert Ramsden as a barn.
The inhabitants of Rastrick have a common day's work to pull down the old chapel and start to build a new one.
A school was held from the church. This subsequently became Rastrick Grammar School.
The Coat of Arms of William III was hung in the chapel.
The present Church replaced the chapel.
The clock was installed.
A Methodist Chapel was established in Rastrick.
The growing congregation led to Crowtrees Methodist Church being built.
First Stained glass window was inserted in St Matthew's Church.
The church was refurnished, the low-backed pews replacing the box-pews.
The church organ was rebuilt.
Electric lighting was installed in the church.
The sanctuary was reordered.
A new clock was installed to celebrate the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II.
Black beetles destroyed the roof timbers.
A new roof was put on.
Crowtrees Methodists were invited to hold services in this church after their church was closed due to dry rot.
A new jointly-funded Parish Centre was built.
Anglicans and Methodists started shared services.
Re-ordering of the church interior.
A formal LEP was signed.